Walt Disney World Closures and Refurbishments
- Main Street Bakery has closed for conversion to a new Starbucks location expected to open June 19.
- Thunder Mountain Railroad will be closed for refurbishment on June 22 and 23
- Pirates of the Caribbean will be closed for refurbishment from July 27 through July 30.
- Prince Charming Regal Carrousel will be closed for refurbishment from August 1 through August 21
- Liberty Square Riverboat will be closed for refurbishment from August 5 through August 9
- Jungle Cruise will be closed for refurbishment from August 19 through September 30.
- New – Cinderella’s Royal Table will be closed for a short refurbishment from September 10 through September 13
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Treasures of the Seven Seas, a new interactive game in the Magic Kingdom has debuted. in the game, the fate of piracy in the Caribbean rests in the hands of new pirate recruits, who, armed with magic talismans and treasure maps, embark on five different pirate raids throughout Adventureland to collect valuable treasures, while Captain Jack Sparrow’s magic compass guides them.
- The Fantasyland Expansion is currently underway and is scheduled to open in phases through 2014. Fairytale Hall will open in late 2013 in the former spot of Snow White’s Scary Adventure. A new roller coaster called the Seven Dwarves Mine Train will open in Fantasyland sometime 2014.
- The Character Spot has officially reopened.
- Spice Road Table, a new restaurant in the Morocco Pavilion is currently under construction and is expected to open by the end of 2013. Spice Road Table will feature various small plates and refreshments inspired by the cuisine of the Mediterranean with seating both indoors and out. The new restaurant will sit at the water’s edge and offer another great view of Illuminations.
- Fountain View Ice Cream Shop closed April 8 for conversion to a new Starbucks location, expected to open August 2.
- L’Artisan des Glaces, a new artisan ice cream and sorbet shop, has now opened in the France Pavilion where the bakery was previously located. The new ice cream parlor will serve 10 flavors of ice cream and 6 flavors of sorbet – and for grown-ups, there’s the option of adding liqueurs.
- Tokyo Dining will be closed for lunch from November 2 – 30. The restaurant will remain open for dinner.
Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Both the Disney Channel Rocks! show and the Pixar Pals Countdown to Fun Parade ended permanently on April 6.
- MuppetVision 3D will be closed for refurbishment from August 6 through September 2
Disney’s Animal Kingdom
- Wilderness Explorers, a new interactive quest aimed at guests 7-10 but fun for the entire family, is coming to Disney’s Animal Kingdom very soon. Taking the official pledge, armed with field guides and earning sticker badges along the way as they complete their challenges, guests explore the park at their leisure. Wilderness Explorers will be self-guided and encourage more “up close and personal” time with the animal inhabitants of the park. This is to debut June 1.
- Disney Parks has announced a long-term relationship with James Cameron’s Lightstorm Entertainment and Fox Filmed Entertainment to bring the fantasy world of AVATAR to life at Animal Kingdom Park. The new Avatar land will feature multiple attractions, entertainment, merchandise locations, restaurants and other immersive elements to bring the world of Pandora to life. Construction expected to begin by 2013.
Disneyland Closures and Rehabs
- Market House closed on April 15 for conversion to Starbucks opening this fall.
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad will be closed for refurbishment from January 7 through October 30
Disney’s California Adventure Closures and Refurbishments
Currently there are no scheduled refurbishments
- Downtown Disney will undergo a multi-year transformation into Disney Springs. New and completed areas will open in phases, and the project is expected to be complete in 2016.
- Typhoon Lagoon closes October 27 for it’s annual refurbishment.
My husband Lindsay and I were there with my daughter, her husband our 2 of our grandchildren celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary. When we went in to see Mickey and Minnie and told them that it was our 40th anniversary, which was Walt Disney World’s 40th at the time as well. The sweethearts knelt down in front of us and took a photo of Mickey giving Minnie a kiss while we shared one as well. So cute and was so much fun! (Submitted by Carol D.)
When you get in trouble and you don’t know right from wrong
Give a little whistle! Give a little whistle! – Jiminy Cricket
Q. My husband and I are planning on surprising out kids, 6,4,&2 with a trip in December. None of us have been there! Will my 2 year old be able to ride any rides? Can we ride as a family or are most rides broken off into pairs? Thank you for any information. Any advice for a novice is appreciated! (Submitted by B.T.)
Summer is here, so here is a great summertime tip. If you are planning on only eating one table service meal each day, schedule your Advanced Dining Reservation for the hotter portions of the day. That way, you will have a cool place to sit and enjoy yourself while the heat beats down outside.
Be Our Guest Podcast Featured Tip:
From Episode 555: Teens at Walt Disney World
Ms. Lost and Lumiere could both be found at Enchanted Tales With Belle. Congratulations to Steffi!
This week, Ms. Lost was hanging jamming out with what great Walt Disney World band?
If you think that you can help, please email your answer to us. firstname.lastname@example.org
Send in your guess by June 22. Please be as specific as possible, noting not only the park but the specific ride, attraction, or section where the picture was taken. For instance, instead of saying, “Epcot,” say, “At Epcot at Maelstrom” (which isn’t this week’s answer). One random entry from all correct entries will receive a Disney trading pin.